Employment Law: Advocating for Employee Rights
Few things can have a bigger impact on your life than an employment law claim. Whether you win or lose your case, you may still have frustrations with the process. A good New Orleans employment law attorney should take a pragmatic look at your situation. When individuals contact my firm, The Law Office of Alan Kansas, L.L.C., I help them understand not just how each choice will impact their current employment, but also how they will impact other areas of their lives, now and in the future.
I spent almost 10 years working with company CEOs and HR Managers handling employment issues from the management side, so I understand how they approach cases. Having insight into their motivations allows me to give better advice to my clients about the strengths and weaknesses of their cases and the practical considerations of going forward with an employment law claim. I work with employees in matters involving:
- Family Medical Leave and Disability Discrimination: The FMLA provides certain employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to be used to care for their own serious health condition, or for the care of an immediate family member who suffers from a serious health condition, for the birth and care of a newborn child, or the placement of a child for adoption or foster care. People living with disabilities are often protected against discrimination in the workplace if they can perform the essential functions of their position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Whistleblower Retaliation: Individuals who speak out against, refuse to participate in, or report their employers for illegal activities are often afforded protection from retaliation. If you are concerned about illegal activity in your workplace, I can help you determine whether you are legally protected from retaliation and decide what action to take. If you have already suffered retaliation for blowing the whistle, I can help you collect the damages you deserve.
- Wage Disputes, Overtime and Nonpayment of Wages: Using proven strategies, I can assist you in recovering money owed for hours worked, or unpaid overtime pay. I represent individuals who have wage concerns regarding nonpayment for “off the clock” work, mislabeling employees as independent contractors, failing to pay wages due, and denying overtime pay.
- Sexual harassment: If you have been placed in sexually compromising situations in the work place, I can leverage my experience working on each side of sexual harassment cases to help protect your legal rights. Seeking damages for hostile work environment, unlawful termination or illegal promotion practices, I work diligently to help get you results.
- Wrongful termination: Although it is often illegal for an employer to fire someone out of retaliation or because of discrimination, the employer does not necessarily need a “good” reason to fire someone. If you were fired because of your race, sex or religion, I may be able to help you build a wrongful termination case against your employer.
- Employment and severance contracts: Contacts are an important part of any employment agreement. Whether you are an employee or employer, carefully drafting the terms of your employment or severance can help ensure your rights are protected regardless of what direction your working relationship takes.
Contact an Experienced Louisiana Employee Rights Lawyer
No two workplace discrimination cases are identical, so it is important to work with an attorney who will provide the individualized attention your case needs. Learn more about the representation I can provide by scheduling your initial consultation. I can be reached online or by calling (504) 300-0071.